Module 7: Community Service (Students will participate throughout the month of June in community service to give back to others and receive hours to include on their resumes and college applications.)
- A recent LinkedIn survey found that 41% of hiring managers consider volunteer experience equally valuable as paid work.
- Benefits of Community Service
- Psychological Benefits: Life satisfaction, feeling good about yourself, and decreases stress and depression;
- Social Benefits: Engages students with the community, creates special bonds with the population served and increased social responsibility;
- Cognitive Benefits: Helps students enhance their knowledge base, earn new experiences, and develop new skills.
- Volunteering can also lead directly to paid work. In 2009, non-profits accounted for 9 percent of jobs and 5.4 percent of the gross domestic product, according to the National Center for Charitable Statistics.