Module 1: Self Esteem (Healthy acceptance of self)
- Among high school students, 44% of girls and 15% of boys are attempting to lose weight.
- Over 70% of girls ages 15 to 17 avoid normal daily activities, such as attending school, when they feel insecure about their appearance.
- More than 40% of boys in middle and high school regularly exercise with the goal of increasing muscle mass.
- 75% of girls with low self-esteem reported engaging in negative activities such as self-cutting, bullying, smoking, drinking, or disordered eating. This compares to 25% of girls with high self-esteem.
- It is estimated that approximately 50 million Americans suffer from a diagnosable mental disorder in any given year, ranging from eating disorders to depression.
- Low self-esteem, not genetics, is the universal common denominator among almost all people who suffer from addictions to mind altering substances such as alcohol and drugs.